I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis in December 2008. This is my blog about my life living with the roller-coaster world of MS with a little humor and advice thrown in!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year

There is nothing more promising as a New Year.  It's like a chance to throw away the old and start fresh   I love closing out old files and finishing up last years insurance stuff (MS'ers have a lot of that!) and scrubbing my house top to bottom in anticipation of the new year.  For me it's a purge of sorts.

Now, I don't mean I make a bunch of New Year's resolutions.  Or that I'm going to change my ways dramatically.  I'm realistic in the fact that I may just want to tweak a few things here and there.  Smaller  things are so much easier to accomplish than taking a huge leap and saying something crazy like "I'm going to lose 100 lbs and stop drinking and stop smoking".  (just an example)

This time of year marks my 6th anniversary of being diagnosed with MS.  6 years ago I was very very sick.  I was in and out of the hospital for a month.  I couldn't see well.  My left side was completely numb from my face to my foot.  I couldn't even write my name.  The anxiety and cognitive issues from the flare up (that phrase sounds so lame compared to how it felt)  made me barely able to communicate. My weight dropped quickly actually too quickly to 107 lbs.   My face drooped and I slurred like a stroke victim.  I was physically and mentally unwell.

6 years later I am now at a comfortable point with my MS.  I know I won't die anytime soon from it.  I know how to read the signals and signs my body gives me and I take action accordingly.  I religiously take my disease modifying med Tecfidera as prescribed.  I exercise at least 4 times a week to keep my muscles from drawing up and killing me!  

I keep my stress down as much as possible by taking medication, attending therapy and going to yoga.

So my goal this year is doing the same but a  little more of.  That's a reasonable goal for me.

So, with all that being said.  Take small steps and you can accomplish whatever your heart desires  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Thanks!!