I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis in December 2008. This is my blog about my life living with the roller-coaster world of MS with a little humor and advice thrown in!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Excercise


When I was first diagnosed with MS the word exercise was in a gray area.  My primary Dr said to stay rested and don't over exert myself.   My fabulous neuro said to get out there and do whatever I can in the exercise dept.   His theory is that build your stamina and get your muscles as strong as possible so when an MS exacerbation lays you flat it might not be as hard as normal to recover.   I have followed his advice and found it to be dead on.  

While there are varied limitations to MS patients physical capabilities there are just as many accommodating exercise workouts to be had.   For me, Yoga is number 1.   It works on your mind equally with your body. Stretching my muscles seem to cut down on the muscle spasms in my legs and arms I have from time to time.   My second favorite is Zumba.  It is a wonderful fun cardio workout for all ages and types.   And it's the only place I can be my klutzy self and blend in!!!   Swimming and walking are also top picks.  My local YMCA has a class that all the exercises are performed sitting in a chair.  That's a great way for our wheelchair friends.    

Exercising gets your endorphins flowing(cliche I know)  and makes you feel emotionally empowered.  It gives you the mental strength  to handle physical handicaps with a better attitude.  

Always talk with your Dr. before you start an exercise regimen.  But, in my opinion it gives me a better perspective on my "quality of life"   and I have met some great friends along the way who also have limitations!

I can't think of a reason not to exercise.   It's good for the body and soul. You can't go wrong with that!!


****Reminder:   I am not a Dr. or counselor.   These posts are strictly my thoughts and ideas about being an Multiple Sclerosis patient.    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Thanks!!