I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis in December 2008. This is my blog about my life living with the roller-coaster world of MS with a little humor and advice thrown in!

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Heat & Humidity



Well, I'm back from a wonderful vacation with my family!   Happy to say that I only ignored my own vacationing with MS advice only a couple of times!  Destination Florida!   As you all might know Florida is hot and if you are prone to heat related symptoms you should heed your body's signals!!  I am one of smaller percentage who actually loves heat.  Except, when it comes with high humidity.  Which it did the first few days down there.   I found myself drained, leg dragging and numbness settling in by noon.   Luckily, my husband knew the symptoms before I did.  Every day I found myself shuffled back to the resort room like a toddler needing a nap.  By evening I felt well enough to tackle the sights.  And my husband and teenage boys seemed to have no problem dumping Mom in the room and taking off!!  

It still comes as a shock to me when I'm not able to keep up with my " before MS" pace.   I even think surely I can do it if I just push through the symptoms.  For everyone who has tried that (myself included)  you usually end up worse shape and it can push your recovery back.   I used to go all day on vacations all the while soothing, prodding, and taking care of 3 boys (4 counting my husband!).  

 Oh well.  I'm still able to travel and do things I  love.   You just have to modify.   And even though for some of us that term never pertained to us physically you can.  Get over your pride.  If not you will find yourself being stubborn and not traveling or taking vacations.  Much less enjoying them.  And that is just letting MS win. 

So, get on that plane, train or automobile!  Get out there.  Take a nap, wear your cooling vest, use your cane or wheelchair.   I guarantee you won't regret it!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Thanks!!