I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis in December 2008. This is my blog about my life living with the roller-coaster world of MS with a little humor and advice thrown in!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Traveling with MS


Well, as I pack my bags getting ready for our annual Fall vacation I thought how my traveling has altered with MS.   I have always been the primary driver on vacations and my husband has slowly been making me take breaks and taking turns when driving.  "I'm fine I say!"   "Of course you are" he says.   But he says let me drive now and you won't be exhausted for 2 days upon arrival.  Hmmmm.  He does have a point.  Sometimes other people can see changes in you before you can.   Sometimes I wonder how on earth have I changed so much in the last 5 years?   I was Wonder Woman, Invincible.  My husband worked crazy hours and I did everything on the home front without complaining.   What happened to me?  If I had not gotten the MS diagnosis would I still be chugging along oblivious?   Are my symptoms more noticeable since I know what I have?  These  questions plague me on occasion.

Well, enough pity party for me!   Vacation here I come!!!   For whatever type of traveling you like to do always be prepared for that sneaky MS.   Don't forget to take your medications along with prescriptions in your name with you.   It's easy to forget when you are having fun!   Think ahead.   Will you need assistance such as a wheel chair for your adventure?   Extra breaks or rests?  There is nothing wrong with all of this.  In fact,  the more you are prepared the more you can relax and enjoy your time.

To be honest, we are going to one of our fav destinations, Disney World.  My sneaky boys have been hoping I need a wheel chair for 2 years so they can get on rides quicker!!  Unfortunately for them I have not needed it!!  But I do need naps so I make sure I don't burn myself out and be out of commission for a couple of days. 

Listen to your body.  On vacation it is easy to get distracted and push yourself beyond your limits and the last thing any MS'r needs is a big flare up on vacation. Pace yourself and enjoy!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Thanks!!