I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis in December 2008. This is my blog about my life living with the roller-coaster world of MS with a little humor and advice thrown in!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Families and MS


Families can be your biggest supporters in your MS life and sometimes they can be the most frustrating.  I'm sure there are some of you shaking your heads yes!  I adore my family.  But there are times that is seems we aren't on the same link.   I refuse to blab on and on about my MS at every family get together.  I will not talk about it unless asked and even then if I'm have a super day I will brush it off and switch topics. 

Does it ever feel like on your worst days no one gets it?  Or on your best days someone will just hover over you like a nurse? 

There are just some days where I don't want to answer the phone, or come over, or even discuss how I'm feeling.  That's just the way MS rolls. 

But,  then I get flack for not answering my phone or wanting to go do something.  Hey people!!  there are some days I have MS fog  (NOT FUN) or anxiety because my arm and leg are numb. Or just trying to save up my energy to take care of my teenagers and finish up the day.  Don't take it personally!!!

On my good days I am the first to get out there.  Who wants to do anything?? 

My husband is notorious for asking me if I'm ok on days when I'm fabulous and not noticing when I'm "down". 

After several years of feeling family guilt I came to the conclusion that maybe they just don't know how I'm feeling.   Bingo!!!   Worked like a charm.  Now, all I do is say great!  when someone asks me how I'm feeling and when I'm not I will let someone know.  My family is the best and is a great support team.  If you don't have support at the right time it can be frustrating.  Talking with someone (either in your family or not) can really help the way you cope with MS.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you all! Thanks!!